Saturday, May 15, 2010

Soccer? REALLY?!?

Up until now, I've managed to hide all sports sign-up paraphernalia from my girls. I make no apologies for this. We are a family who is very involved in our church, and as such, have to be there very early on Sunday mornings (6:30 a.m. for Henry, 7-7:30 a.m. for me and the girls.) This leaves Saturday, and only Saturday, to do any kind of sleeping in. Since most sports have this crazy tradition of holding games on Saturday mornings, I've avoided them like the plague.


Last week I failed BIG TIME. Amanda saw the soccer sign-up sheet before I could destroy it.


Amanda: Mom, can I play soccer next year? If you sign up now, you get a discount.


Me: You do realize that if you play soccer next year, our family will never be able to sleep in EVER AGAIN, right?


Amanda: So can I play soccer?


Me: Have you ever actually played soccer before?


Amanda: No, but I want to learn.


Me: Fine (and by "fine", I meant, "The entire family is going to regret this once they experience what I'm like after having to wake up at 5 a.m. for 14 days in a row.")


Last night, our sitter Brittany helped the girls with some soccer basics, like kicking the ball with your instep (Your instep, really? Not your toes? Who knew?)


Today they were practicing out in the front yard with an old (flat) basketball, because we don't own a soccer ball (something I used to be proud of.)











Am I really going to become a soccer mom?







No comments:

Post a Comment