Tuesday, October 11, 2011

No More Secrets


Our church music department is blessed to have quite a spread provided for those of us who sing or play an instrument on Sunday mornings. You should see it ... doughnuts, oatmeal, bagels (with toaster handy), pastries, fruit, veggies with dip ... the list could go on and on!

This past Sunday after singing in the 1st gathering, I moseyed on over to the breakfast buffet and tried to decide what I was in the mood for. Amanda was with me, but since she'd already grabbed a maple bar, I wasn't too concerned with her.

The longer I stood there, the more enticing the chocolate cake doughnut with sprinkles looked. So even though I knew I shouldn't, I picked it up and put it on a plate. I took one bite and was SO happy with my choice. Until, that is, I saw a beautiful plain-glazed doughnut looking back at me. I'm telling you, it was PERFECT. And just when I started second guessing my chocolate choice, I realized, "Hey! I'm an adult. And I could totally have that doughnut too if I feel like it!" But rather than make a complete pig of myself, I took the high road, and cut the plain-glazed doughnut in half. That's right, I only had 1.5 doughnuts, which is completely acceptable in Christian circles.

Okay, so Amanda and I walk back to the audio studio where Henry works, and as soon as we step inside I hear her say, "Dad, guess what? Mom ate a WHOLE chocolate doughnut AND half of a plain-glazed doughnut too!!!"

Okay, SERIOUSLY?! Did she REALLY just tattle on me to my husband?! COME ON!!

And do I really have to teach her what things are okay to tell Dad:

"Mom did all the laundry today, Dad."
"Mom helped us with our homework, Dad."
"Mom finally vacuumed today, Dad."

And what things are NOT okay to tell Dad:

"Mom spent $75 at Target today, Dad."
"Mom ate all the cookie dough before we even baked it, Dad."
"Mom gave us cereal for dinner again, Dad."


The good thing is ... I'm married to someone who completely has my back. Case in point? As soon as Amanda blabbed what I'd consumed, Henry said, "Well I'm not surprised. You girls probably drove her to it. She's just getting a little comfort food to compensate for what all you put her through this past week."

Is he the best, or what?

Even so ... I'll be very careful what I do around Big Brother from now on.


1 comment: