Monday, November 22, 2010

Tap it. Tap it Good.

Brushing teeth. It's not something kids seem to do on their own. Ever. Not only do they have to be reminded to brush their teeth, but mine have to be reminded several times.

I can't really blame them though. I don't remember brushing my teeth early in my childhood. I do remember, however, having a revelation one day in elementary school: Wow, my breath is baaaad. I'll bet I could help this situation by brushing my teeth. And so it began. Brushing my teeth everyday ... in the morning, at least.

I like to think I've learned a thing or two about brushing my teeth since those early days. For one, I brush twice a day now! Yeah, it's true. I even floss every night (okay the flossing thing has only been an every night ritual for the past 3 months, but still.) Oh, and we have these highly efficient electric toothbrushes that do all the work for you. Well, almost all the work ...

About a month after purchasing these electric toothbrushes, I happened to notice that mine was leaving a green slimy ring on the counter, and there was more of the green slime at the base of the toothbrush neck. Hmmm. I looked over at Henry's toothbrush. It was as if he'd never used it. Clean and pristine. No green slime anywhere. What gives?

I decided To start drying off my toothbrush after each brushing to see if that would help.

And drumroll please .... it didn't help one bit. What in the world?! Could my mouth really be that much more disgusting than my husband's? No way.

So I finally asked him what his secret was to keeping such a tidy toothbrush. He couldn't think of anything special that he did when he brushed, so he asked me to brush for him (And yes, for those of you wondering, THIS is how we keep our marriage of 16 years exciting!)


I brushed.

I spit.

I sucked the remaining water from the brush.

I spit again.

I dried off my toothbrush.

I set it down on the counter.

Ta da!


Not so fast.


Henry: Okay, and do you tap it?

Me: Tap it? What do you mean, 'tap it'?

Henry: You know, on the edge of the sink to get the rest of the water out.

Me: I don't tap it. I've never tapped it. Why would I tap it?

Henry: Didn't you tap your regular toothbrush before we got these electric ones?

Me: Uh, no.


Just then I took a look at our two non-electric toothbrushes standing side by side in the holder. And guess what? Mine was all corroded with toothpaste slobber, and his was perfectly clean!! Ugh!!!


Me: Okay, who taps their toothbrushes?! Seriously. Why would anyone think to do that?

Henry: I don't know. I guess guys are just used to ... tapping things.


Ha! Ha! And there you have it.


So I ask you: Do you tap your toothbrush? I've tapped mine for the past few weeks and I must say, "It works!" Go figure.


The only downside to this tapping ritual, is the song that goes through my head every time I "tap it". Remember the 80's hit "Whip It" by Devo? Yeah, only insert the words, "Tap It. Tap it good!" du na na na na ... na na, du na na na na ... na na.


5 comments:

  1. Totally tap. Have tapped all my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm a tapper. I thought everyone was? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it and never thought about doing it. You have opened my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey & Lacie, seriously?! I have no words.

    Ann-Marie, THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm speechless thought only I went through this. The tapping thing..no idea until I got married. Bryan leaves our house at 4am. I am usually asleep. It has almost been a year and I must say for the first maybe 5 months the tapping KILLED me. I woke me up every morning. I thought ummm does he not know I'm sleeping here? Ugh!!! But i have since gotten used to it and know sleep through it. As a non tapper I have oddly picked it up! However he always puts his toothbrush back in the drawer as mine sits near the sink.

    ReplyDelete