Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Neighborhood Noise

The other day, after we arrived home from school, the girls chose to go directly into the backyard and play with the dogs.

While I knew they each had homework to do, I figured a few minutes of R&R would do them good.

I walked outside to
the mailbox and immediately heard blood-curdling screams from our backyard. The kind of screams that are so intense, they should be reserved for absolute torture, like being dunked in acid or something.

Yet somehow I knew that neither child was hurt or being "tortured" (though I bet they'd argue the latter), so I just calmly took my mail from the box.

As I turned to go back inside, I noticed my neighbor standing at the end of her driveway, not 20 feet from all the ruckus. She seemed completely peaceful and unfazed by the shrill screams coming from behind my fence.

Me: Hi Sharon.

Sharon: Oh hello. I was just watching my (grown) kids drive away. We have a tradition of watching each other until we turn the corner at the end of the street.

Me: And I don't suppose you can hear my girls killing each other back there.

Sharon: Oh sure, but do I look concerned?

Me smiling: No. No, you don't.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Can I just say ... we need more Sharons in this world?! People who instead of judging our parenting, let us know that they have been where we are right now, and can assure us of things like: It's completely normal to have your backyard emote sounds that are usually reserved for horror film soundtracks.

I WILL be a Sharon when I grow up. Guaranteed.






No comments:

Post a Comment