Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Breakfast of Champions


My sister was out from Texas this past weekend to lead worship at our church's women's retreat. We typically don't keep soda here at the house, but I bought some Diet Coke especially for her so that she would feel oh so welcome. Of course, once my girls knew we had "DC" on the premises, they would not give up on trying to talk me into letting them have some.

My sister's flight was delayed, so she didn't arrive in California until 11:15 p.m. ... I believe we finally went to bed around 1:00 a
.m., because a delayed flight equals a delayed bedtime dontcha know.

5:30 a.m. came around WAY too fast, and when that happens, I don't always make the best decisions ...

Amanda: Can I have some Diet Coke for breakfast?

Me: Seriously? Sure.

Megan: If she gets some, I get some, right?

Me: Well ... yes. I guess you do.

Megan: Yes!!

See? Without sleep, my mediocre parenting really takes a nosedive.

Now that the breakfast beverages had been decided on, I asked the girls what they wanted to eat. They both chose cinnamon toast. Perfect.

Okay, it would have been perfect if I'd had ample sleep the night before.

Meg's turned out fine, but by the time I got to Amanda's, the cinnamon/sugar shaker was empty. Now if I were rested, I would have added more sugar and cinnamon to the shaker and proceeded with the preparation of Amanda's breakfast. But we all know this was not the case. SO, while my girls were chugging their Diet Coke, I pulled out the sugar bowl and began to lightly shake a little sugar on the buttered toast, with the thought of adding the cinnamon next.

Um, yeah ... it was about that time that the entire bowl of sugar emptied out onto the toast.

AWESOME!!

I must have gasped or something, because Amanda came running over and could not contain her excitement as she laid eyes on her dream breakfast:

















Now I know it's hard to believe, but a few minutes later she was all whiny because I actually said "no" to some absurd request ...

Me: I can't believe you're whining about this! I gave you Diet Coke and a plate full of sugar for breakfast, for cryin' out loud! So CLEARLY I'm the best Mom EVER!!


She did not agree. And I did not care.







1 comment:

  1. Lol.

    Diet Coke for breakfast = best mom ever in MY book!

    ReplyDelete