Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blonde Much?

Amanda has a historical fiction book report due on Monday. My goal was to have her complete it this past weekend, but of course that didn't happen. Fun always seemed to win out. And by "fun" I mean: sleeping, eating, fighting with her sister ... basically anything other than doing the report.

Last night was the night to get things going.

Amanda chose a Kaya story. Kaya, for those of you who don't know, is one of the American Girl dolls. And all, if not most of the American Girl dolls have stories written about them.


Alright, so Amanda came up with the setting and main characters, but had a little trouble with the problem/solution part. Since I hadn't read the book, I tried my best to think of things that might have happened back in 1764.

Me: Okay ... you mentioned that Kaya's family were traders, right?

Amanda: Right.

Me: And there were Indians back then, right?

Amanda (looking at me like I was a complete idiot): Uh, right.

Me (trying to think up some kind of problem that might possibly have a solution): Okay, so did Kaya's family get along with the Indians?

Amanda (looking at me in total disbelief): Mom.

Me: Come on, Amanda. I'm trying to help you here.

Amanda then holds up the book so I can see its cover:










Amanda: Kaya IS INDIAN.


Me: Right. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment