Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back to School Night

One of two Back to School nights was tonight. At our house, the most popular time to spill drinks (especially sticky ones) would be either when dad's not home and mom's exhausted, or when we're trying to get somewhere on time.

Tonight I was exhausted and trying to get to BTS night on time, so I shouldn't have been surprised when Amanda tipped her glass of apple juice all over the table, floor and dinner plate.

I must have reacted okay to this highly irritating situation, because Amanda just shrugged her shoulders and said in a light hearted voice, "Oops! Sorry, Mom." Then practically skipped into another room to read while I dealt with the mess, and fixed her another plate of food.

We ended up being about 15 minutes late to BTS night. The kids played on the school playground (supervised) while we parents met the teachers and saw the classrooms.

It was all said and done by 8:15 p.m., so I called out to my girls that it was time to go. Megan said she had something in her eye. She thought it was part of a wood chip.

Me: Well, let's wash it out with water before we leave.

Megan: No, it'll be okay. It doesn't hurt that bad.

Me: Let's just get some water and wash it out just in case.

Megan: I don't need to!

Me: I really think you should.

Megan: No!

Me: Fine, let's go.

Well don'tcha know, about half way home, Megan started screaming bloody murder,

Megan: MY EYE!! MY EYE! OWWWWWIEEEEE!!! MY EYE!! MOM, MY EYE!! AAAHHHH!!!

Are you even kidding me?

Me: Megan, I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do for you until we get home. I wish you'd let me get some water to wash it out while we were still at the school.

I do know a thing or two. Not that anyone thinks so.

By the time we got home, she'd cried enough to wash the splinter to a more tolerable place in her eye. Then a few minutes after being inside, she came and showed me the very large speck of wood that had finally come out.

Megan: See Mom, I told ya I didn't need to wash it out with water.

Me: Silly me.


1 comment: