Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Arsenic & Old Lace & My Blood Pressure



Over the weekend I got to see my niece as the lead role in her high school play, Arsenic and Old Lace. She was AMAZING as Abby Brewster.


Getting to the play was another story ...


A few days before, my brother emailed all of us out-of-towners to let us know that since the entrance to the school theater was also part of the stage, no one would be admitted after the play started at 2 PM. So in other words, "Don't be late!" No problem. Fremont is a little over 3 hours away, so I figured I'd leave 4 hours before, which would allow us time to stop for a quick lunch. Ha! If only.


Without going into details (that Megan would kill me for some day when she reads all this stuff), a medical condition that we've been treating Meg for flared up Friday night making it apparent that I'd have to take her to Urgent Care Saturday morning before leaving town. Ugh!! Have I mentioned how much I dislike Urgent Care? Yeah. So I called and found out that it opens at 9 AM, and I was wanting to leave town at 10 AM. Ugh (again!)


Meg and I pulled into our parking spot Saturday morning at 8:45 AM, and saw that there were already 2 people in line outside the Urgent Care. So we quickly got in line, and within minutes 6 more people fell in line behind us. Getting in and out of here would be a snap thanks to me who had the sense to get here before they opened.


As soon as the doors opened, we all filed in and were given clipboards with a form to fill out. That's when I realized that arriving first (or third) means NOTHING. It's all about how fast you can fill out the stinkin' form! Oh the injustice!!! So I sat down and ripped through that form as fast as I could. When I was almost done, I looked up to see the horror of all horrors: All those people who had arrived after me were STANDING IN LINE WHILE FILLING OUT THEIR FORMS!!! AAAAHHHH!!!! That's right. I went from being third to ninth in like two minutes. HOW IS THIS FAIR, I ASK YOU?!


Well, we were finally called in at 9:45 AM, and walked out at 10:15 AM. We zipped home to get Amanda and left by 10:40 AM with sack lunches to eat on the way since we would now have no time to make any stops.


After driving like a crazy woman, we arrived in Fremont 35 minutes EARLY!! Woo hoo!!! Now I could relax.


My brother and sister-in-law arrived moments later, so we all went inside and had time to chat before the play began. I gave my brother a play-by-play of my hectic morning, but how it was all worth it, because we would NOT have wanted to arrive after 2 PM and been refused admittance.

It was then that my brother got this sheepish look on his face and said, "Would this be a bad time to tell you that after sending you that email, the director told me that he's going to start the play 10 minutes late, just in case?" Um, yeah, actually.









No comments:

Post a Comment