Friday, June 4, 2010

"I" before "E" ...


Tonight we had dessert @ Cold Stone Creamery (yummers in the tummers). There's a bookstore next door, so while walking around with our ice cream, Amanda and I found ourselves looking in the bookstore window. There was a book displayed by "Reader's Digest".






Amanda: Reader's Digest. Whenever a "G" is followed by an "I", "E" or "Y", it makes the "J" sound.

Me: Where'd you learn that?

Amanda: EVERYONE knows that.

Me: I'VE never heard that rule. Did you learn it in school?

Amanda: No. The Electric Company, duh.

Me: The only rule I remember is "I" before "E" except after "C".

Henry: Yeah, but there are exceptions to that rule.

Amanda: "Except after C" ... that IS the exception, Dad.

Henry: Uh, right.




"Girl" doesn't follow this rule, btw. So much for The Electric Company, duh.







No comments:

Post a Comment