Monday, June 21, 2010

Hero Hair


It's VBS week at church!! This year's theme is Hero Headquarters. I was asked several months ago if I would be in the nightly skits, but didn't find out until I was already committed to the task that my role would be that of Water Woman. (Really? Water Woman? Hmmm ... Can't say that wearing spandex was anywhere on my summer "To Do" list, but okay.)

So last night I was trying to figure out how Water Woman might wear her hair. I had the goggles on my forehead and was pulling all my bangs up into a pony tail on top of my head when Megan walked in ...

Megan (eyes big with terror): WHAT are you DOING?

Me: I'm fixing my Water Woman hair-do.

Megan: Uh ...

Me: What? You don't think it looks good?

Megan: NOOOOO.

I looked in the mirror. She was right. I've never been able to pull off the whole bang-less forehead look. So I brushed it all out and started over, because I'm secure like that. All the while, Meg was standing there making sure I came up with an acceptable alternative. And I guess I don't blame her. It's bad enough to have your mother as a VBS super hero (although I think she secretly likes it), not to mention one who wears rubber gloves and miniature water wings. But to have your mom go out in public with her bangs looking like a palm tree on top of her head? NOT GONNA' HAPPEN. Not on Meg's watch anyway.

Me (hair down with bangs): Okay, is that better?




Megan (looks me over slowly): Better.


Works for me.









No comments:

Post a Comment