Friday, April 29, 2011

Tantrums

It was a rough afternoon for Meg yesterday.


I blame it on Easter break. Well, not on the break itself, but on the having to go back to real life after Easter break. How dare they.


I don't even remember all that went wrong after school yesterday, but I do remember that nothing went right once we arrived home.


Nothing I did was right in Megan's eyes:



1) I made her do her one reading comprehension worksheet that she put off until the last day.



2) I didn't allow her to watch TV while doing her reading comprehension worksheet.



3) When I sent her to her room after yelling at me, I didn't allow her to take the phone with her to chat with her friend while being punished. (And I'm so glad I didn't, because that allowed her to yell at the top of her lungs, "Let me out! Let me out! Let me out!" Which I'm sure sounded like perfect parenting to our neighbors.)



The list could go on and on (and on and on and on and ...)



When she finally emerged, her first order of business was to throw a tantrum. I was trying to help Amanda on one of her homework questions at the time, so I really didn't give her the attention she was hoping for, which meant it was time to throw herself over the arm of the couch. This apparently didn't go as planned, because painful cries followed.



I asked her what happened. She said she hurt her back.



Amanda took that as her cue to say something to the effect of, "Well that's what you get!" To which I gave Amanda the "zip it" look. Amanda's response to this was a sassy head bob with eye roll that absolutely cracked me up. I KNOW. SUPER BAD TIMING. But I couldn't help it, I started laughing, and so did she, which of course Megan took as us laughing at her, so naturally she ran back to her room yelling that we both hated her.



GOOD TIMES!



All of this brought back a Megan memory. She's always been a tantrum thrower, but thankfully, they've lessened (somewhat) over the years.



One time, back when she was 2, she threw herself face first onto the tile in a fit of rage. That must have hurt something fierce, because every time after that, she would always look around for a soft, carpeted spot to throw herself down on before fully engaging in her tantrum.



I miss those days. Kinda. :)




























No comments:

Post a Comment