Monday, March 21, 2011

Here's Spit in Your Eye!

I don't think a day has gone by where my girls have not had some kind of altercation with one another.

Today was no different.

I was in the back of the house changing clothes when I heard the screams.

My first inclination was to ignore it. Maybe this will be the time they work it out themselves in a civilized manner. Yeah right. The cries for help just got louder and louder, until finally Amanda was by my side.

Amanda sobbing: Megan spit in my eye!!

Me: Oh come on.

Now before you judge my under-reaction, you have to know that Amanda considers a "raspberry" to be the same as spitting.
Amanda: She DID.

Me: Fine.

I walk out to the family room and find Megan at the scene of the crime (the couch), and she's screaming at the top of her lungs. Not really forming words, just screaming so as not to be able to hear what I have to say. This never works, but she tries it every time she knows she's in trouble.

Me: Megan, what happened right before you spit at Amanda?

Megan: She was grabbing me like this!! (puts her hands on her waist and shakes herself real hard)

Amanda: I was NOT grabbing her, I was tickling her.

Megan: No she wasn't!! She was GRABBING ME!!!

Now all this time, Amanda is still sobbing while talking. I mean, you would have thought Megan had stuck a hot poker in her eye for as hard as she was crying.

Me: Amanda, do you think you might be overreacting just a little bit? It's spit for crying out loud.

Well THAT insensitivity just made her cry even harder, while Megan continued to scream who knows what at the top of her lungs. That's right, total chaos. So naturally I responded with a very calm ...

Me: That's it!! You're both going to your rooms!!

After about 5 minutes, I went into Megan's room to explain that it's never okay to spit at someone, especially in the face. I then said that I was going to have to think up a severe punishment for spitting at someone ...

Megan: You're probably going to make me pick up dog poop, because I hate that!!

Me: We'll see.



Uh, yeah. I'm totally doing that. I just love it when they help me think up their own punishment!


No comments:

Post a Comment