Friday, June 24, 2011

A Child's Concept of Time

So I mentioned that we were on vacation last week. In past years (when the girls were still in diapers and whatnot) it's taken us up to 8 hours to travel from Fresno to Escondido (near San Diego).



I'm happy to say, we've made progress! We only stopped twice this time, and made it there in 6.5 hours!! Wow! Never thought I'd see the day.



Well, you know how it goes with kids ... "Are we there yet?" "How much longer?" "How many minutes now, Dad?" Or my favorite question from Megan, "How many 1/2 hours 'till we get there?"






Two hours into our trip, we reached a point where we could either stop for lunch before going over the Grapevine, or wait until we got past the Grapevine. Amanda was engrossed in a movie, so I asked Megan ...


Me: Meg, do you want to eat lunch in about 20 minutes? Or wait an hour to get lunch?


Megan: I can wait.


So we kept driving. Of course, 30 minutes after telling me she could wait an HOUR ...




Megan: Mom, can I have lunch now?


Perfect.






No comments:

Post a Comment