Monday, December 10, 2012

Bribes-A-Plenty

Poor Megan. She inherited my bad teeth. Of course it doesn't help that she refuses to spend more than 10 seconds brushing them.

At her last check up, we were told that she had 4 cavities - 2 on the left and 2 on the right.  Last week she had the right side taken care of, and next week we go back for the left.  In addition to the fillings, the dentist also wants to pull a baby tooth whose adult tooth decided to make an appearance too soon, and as such, is way behind her front row of bottom teeth. Picture a shark's mouth, and you kinda' get the idea. Humans weren't meant to have two rows of teeth!

Megan has been fretting about next week's dental appointment ever since last week's appointment ended, saying that she would NOT be going back. So when she brought it up again tonight, I did what any rational mom would do ... I broke out the bribes.

Me:  Okay Meg, what could I give you to go to the dentist next week?

Meg:  What could you give me?

Me:  Yeah, like a reward for going to the dentist when you really don't want to go.

Meg:  What kind of a reward? Like on a scale from Limo to Trash ...

Me:  You mean limo being amazing and trash being really bad?

Meg:  Yeah, like a limo is a thousand dollars, and trash is ... nothing.

Me:  Well, I can tell you right now that you won't be getting a limo, and I would NEVER give you TRASH as a reward.

We then proceeded to run the gamut, trying to come up with bribes worthy of her, and affordable to me. 

We finally settled on TWO rewards:

1) A Coffee Frappuccino (Something she's always asking for, but never gets because of the caffeine. Since we'll be on Christmas break, I figured this would be the perfect time to make an exception.)

2) Either fake nails ($6.00 at Walgreens) or something for her fish aquarium.

I think she's actually looking forward to the appointment now.  I mean, on a scale of Limo to Trash ... this is pretty good, right?

  







No comments:

Post a Comment