Saturday, February 2, 2013

Another Mommy Confession

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm selfish. I actually never knew this about myself, until I had children. It's an awful discovery, especially when you realize there's nothing you can do about it. You're a mom. The kids come first. Deal with it.

Now every once in a while, I try to do something for myself, but it rarely works out. Tonight was one of those times.

But before I get to that story, I should give you a little history. 

Pre-children, my nails were impeccable. Then as soon as I became a mom, it became quite obvious that the nails would have to take a backseat. So after going without polish for approximately 11 years, I started painting my nails again. Oh MY, I'd forgotten how nice it was to have manicured nails! The euphoria was ridiculous!!

Unfortunately, I discovered a downside to having painted nails as a mother: they chip after only 3 days.  All that dish washing, etc. takes a toll.

So, I did what any distraught mother would do ... I whined about it on Facebook, and miracle of miracles, a friend of mine offered to come to my home and give me a gel manicure!! Oh my goodness!! I was positively GIDDY with excitement, because the only other time I'd had a professional manicure was for my wedding 18 years ago!!

After getting the gel manicure, I was pretty much ruined for anything less, because for those of you who do not know: they DO NOT CHIP for TWO WHOLE WEEKS!! Somebody pinch me!!

Okay, fast forward 4 weeks later, and today was the day I was going to give myself a gel manicure. That's right, I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, and used it to buy my very own kit! Woo hoo!!

This afternoon I laid out all the stuff, and proceeded to start the pampering. I gotta say, it was MARVELOUS. And then just as I was in the throws of self-indulgence, Meg calls out from the couch to say that she thinks she's gonna throw up.

Conversation inside my head: Um, WHAT?!  Right NOW?  LIKE WHILE I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF FINALLY DOING SOMETHING AWESOME FOR MYSELF????

I know. I'm the worst mom EVER. I feel terrible for not wanting to jump to her rescue. And it gets worse. I mean I was actually weighing my options ...

1) Leave her be and hope for the best, knowing I may have a huge mess to deal with later, but at least the nails would be set by then.

2) Pay Amanda to help her.

3) Put my own desires aside, yet again, and go help my sick baby.

Believe it or not, I chose option 3 and just prayed that while I was holding her hair back, it wouldn't get stuck in the nail gel.

Once again, God was extremely gracious to me. Not only was I was able to care for Megan, but in between retching sessions, was able to run back to the table to finish up the last step of my manicure.

Hey - I don't always make the right parenting decisions, but when I do ...




I blog about them. ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment