Friday, October 5, 2012

Eavesdropping

Did you ever listen in on a phone conversation as a child? Like perhaps you picked up the phone to use it, not realizing that someone else in the house was already on. Then, rather than hang up ... you held your breath and listened in for a bit. Ever do that before? Yeah, me neither.

Last night I received a call from the mother of a student in Megan's class.  After saying, "Hello," I heard the unmistakable sound of someone picking up another receiver in the house.  I considered telling the eavesdropper to hang up, but figured there wouldn't be any delicate subject matter discussed, so I'd just let it play out.

I was actually impressed with how quiet she was during the phone conversation. There was no heavy breathing, no giggling, just a bunch of extra "ambiance" from the room in which she spied.

I thought she was home free as the other mother and I said our goodbyes.

Caller:  Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow, goodbye.

Me:  Okay, goodbye.

Then Megan super-duper loudly yells: GOODBYE!!!


Ugh. So close.




No comments:

Post a Comment