Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bruno Mars

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a YouTube video of Bruno Mars performing his song When I Was Your Man. Now I'd heard of this guy before, but hadn't really paid attention to his past musical offerings, and as I watched this video, I was mesmerized. His voice was as pure as ... I don't even know. All I know was that I wanted to hear more of it. So I found the song on iTunes and downloaded it. Then I listened to it over and over and over again, because I just couldn't get enough of this guy's talent.

Then the other day I figured I'd check out the rest of the album. I took a quick listen (emphasis on the word QUICK) to the first few songs and again could NOT believe this guy's gift for creating music that immediately put you in the happy dance zone. I mean every song had a hook that you just wanted to drown yourself in. Amazing.

So I went to download the entire album, and noticed that I had a choice of which version of the album I wanted - the one with a parental advisory warning, or the non-parental advisory notice. This was a no-brainer. I'm a Christian, married mother of two ... obviously we go with the non-bad words version so I can blast it in the car with my daughters, whom I KNEW would LOVE this music as much as I did.

Note to self:  If there's a parental advisory version of an album, the "clean" version probably isn't that clean.

The next morning while I was getting ready, I remembered my newly acquired album!! Woo hoo!! So as I was in the bathroom doing the hair and make-up thing, I popped my earbuds in and started rockin' out to my new favorite singer. Oh yeah.

And that's when it happened. As I was curling my hair, I heard for the first time what the songs with the catchy beats and awesome harmonies were actually talking about ... sex. Like a whole lot of it. Lots and lots and lots. Sex, sex and more sex. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, I just don't want to ... sing about it. 

So while I was standing there in shock, part of me was irritated with myself for downloading an album before thoroughly checking out its content, and the other part of me was irritated with Bruno Mars for not being a follower of Christ and putting all that obviously God-given talent into enhancing the world of Christian music. I mean, it's not that we don't have amazing artists on the Christian music scene ... we just don't have a Bruno Mars, and I think that's sad.

So apparently this whole post was a big ole prayer request. Bruno Mars needs Jesus, because I need his music to have WAY less sex in it.





The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment